The course gives a broad and thorough overview of the transaction systems theory. It concentrates on concurrency control and recovery (notions of correctness and their interaction) in database management systems, while also covering other topics (implementational issues, distributed transaction management and recovery etc).
CORONA (COVID-19) INFORMATION:
The lecture is scheduled to take place using video lectures. We will also hold exercises each Monday starting 10:30 via a web conference. We will use the RBG tool BBB. You can join the live session with the link provided in the transaction system moodle. The link will most likely stay active throughout the term. If any changes are necessary we will provide additional information. Please watch the lecture before participating in the exercise session!
The course is aimed at Master-level students who have already taken the following (or similar) courses:
- Discrete Structures
- Introduction to Databases
This course is theory focused and requires knowledge on algorithms and proofing (for correctness guarantees). In particular, we assume that students already have knowledge about transaction processing in DBMS.
Organisation und Klausur
- Date, time, and location: Monday 9am–12pm (90 minutes lecture followed by 90 minutes exercise session), ONLINE
- Bonus: There will be optional home assignments. If you achieve 75% or more in the home assignments, you will receive a 0.3 bonus on the exam grade (iff your exam grade is between 1.3 and 4.0).
- Example: A student achieves 82% in the home assignments, and 1.7 in the final exam. His/Her final grade will be 1.4.
- Exam: Written exam, 90 minutes.
- Exam date and location: tba, in person (Garching)
- Exam registration: via TUMonline
- Resit exam (Wiederholungsprüfung): There will be no retake exam (Wiederholungsprüfung). The next exam will probably take place at the end of SS 2022.
- Chapter 1: Introduction
- Chapter 2: Computational Models
- Chapter 3: Concurrency Control: Notions of Correctness for the Page Model
- Chapter 4: Concurrency Control Algorithms
- Chapter 5: Multiversion Concurrency Control
- Chapter 6: Concurrency Control on Objects: Notions of Correctness
- Chapter 7: Concurrency Control Algorithms on Objects
- Chapter 8: Concurrency Control on Relational Databases
- Chapter 9: Concurrency Control on Search Structures
- Chapter 10: Implementation and Pragmatic Issues
- Chapter 11: Transaction Recovery
- Chapter 12: Crash Recovery: Notion of Correctness
- Chapter 13: Page-Model Crash Recovery Algorithms
- Chapter 14: Object-Model Crash Recovery
- Chapter 15: Special Issues of Recovery
Please find the exercise sheets and homework assignments on moodle.
- Gerhard Weikum, Gottfried Vossen. Transactional Information Systems: Theory, Algorithms, and the Practice of Concurrency Control and Recovery. Morgan Kaufmann Publishers, 2002